Friday, April 17, 2009

Talking to myself

Not to be confused with "Dancin with myself" (a favorite song by Billy Idol.....have danced many times to that!)
I think I like this whole BLOG thing because I get to write stuff whenever I want and maybe people read it and maybe they don't.....but if they do...they know a little bit about who I am. I've always been one to say what I think...and I try very hard to think it through first...but this is kind of fun! For instance today I am going to make a list of some favorites......and maybe this will give a little insight into who I really am. And besides...when would I talk about this otherwise! Ha ha!
Remember when you went to college and the way you got an idea about whether or not you were going to get along with your roommate was by checking out their albums while they were out of the room. Well that's kind of what these lists are like...you may think you know me.......but do you? Haha I know I always like to see what other people like...music, art, books, etc sometimes they surprise me...and other times I just think it's interesting. I sometimes think I should've worked at one of those places where you send in surveys to....telling them what products you use, etc, hobbies.....it would be fun to read that kind of stuff all day!
Anyway....for what it's worth here's what's on my lists......
Since I work at the library ...... I might as well start with some favorite books/authors
not in any particular order......
1. Tony Horwitz-read Confederates in the Attic and then read his other books. I love them all.I have recommended them and sent them to friends and family. I especially liked Blue Latitudes...Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before. All his books tell about people and places in a funny, offbeat way. He would be a great History teacher; telling you about historic events in an entertaining way.
2.Geraldine Brooks-( wife of Tony Horwitz...they would be great dinner guests!)I loved March and her most recent book People of the Book.
3.James Michener- any of his books...but I especially liked Hawaii and the Source. I really enjoyed all his books that I've read....I love the way he takes you through history and weaves the characters through the story.
4.Robert Ludlum- my brother- in- law Tony recommended The Bourne Identity to me back in the early 80's. What a great book!!!...not my usual type of book but I loved it. If you liked any of the Bourne movies...read the books....they are the kind that keep you up at night wanting to know what's going to happen next! (how many more pages?what time is it? should I just keep reading!?)(YES!)
5.Robert Fulgham
6.Bob Greene-(not the diet guy the other one)especially American Beat, Good Morning Merry Sunshine and Hang Time: Days and Dreams With Michael Jordan
7.William Least Heat- Moon- Blue Highways :a Journey Across America and River-Horse: Across America by Boat
8.Bill Bryson-A Walk in the Woods
9.Biographies.....I like biographies and autobiographies about sports figures, politicians, presidents,musicians...I just like them! a couple of favorites...John Quincy Adams: a Public Life, a Private Life by Paul Nagel
and Man of the House by Tip O'Neill with William Novak
10.Maeve Binchey- all of them...but a favorite is Evening Class

when I was younger..........
All the book by Luara Ingalls Wilder..... I LOVED them. (especially Little House on the Prairie and On the Banks of Plum Creek)
2. all the Betsy-Tacy and Tib books by Maud Hart Lovelace. I wanted to live on Hill Street!
3. the All-of-a-Kind Family books by Sydney Taylor
4. The Giant Golden Book of Elves and Fairies by Jane Werner illustrated by (my favorite!) *Garth Williams....I am pretty sure this book I recently found again is the one I checked out as often as they would let me when I was in about 3rd or 4th grade!
5.Charlotte's Web by E.B.White
6.The Happy Orpheline by Natalie Savage Carlson
7.The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken....I didn't usually read mysteries...this one was great!
8.Mr. Pudgins by Ruth Christoffer Carlson and Margaret Bradfield...(maybe sometime I'll tell you about the animal circus we had in a neighbor's garage! Ha!)
9. any biography...but especially liked the ones about girls...Louisa May Alcott, Jane Addams, Annie Oakley come to mind!
10. poetry book ands books that rhymed...like Plum Pudding for Christmas by Virginia Kahl

*actually Garth Williams illustrated the Little House books, the Happy Orpheline books, Charlotte's Web and the Elves and Fairies books, I loved his illustrations as much as the books....never made that connection as a kid...but maybe it was the cover illustrations that got me!
Well....this is long enough......I'll tell you about my other lists another time! Next time Movies? Music? this is fun...................:)

1 comment:

Brenna said...

wI like the list. I know what you mean about looking through the records, or cd's or now facebook groups...and then deciding if you are going to get along! Also can you send me Blue? Ive been needing a new book.