Saturday, April 11, 2009

Happy Easter! Happy Passover! Happy Spring!

Once upon a time and far far away I was actually in the choir at Our Lady of Lourdes Church. It was back when the whole informal, guitar mass was getting popular. We had fun...but as I said I was in the choir...so there is no telling what we sounded like! Ha! We did sing one song that I always liked and it was also one of my Uncle Dave's(my mother's twin brother) favorites. He mentioned one time that he would have the nuns sing it at his funeral mass if they'd let him...but he didn't think they would go for that idea. (he was the residing priest ( actually a monsignor) at the Mother of God Monastery in Springfield Massachusetts. Anyway here it is...

Lord of the Dance
I danced in the morning when the world was young
I danced for the moon and the stars and the sun
I came down from heaven and I danced on the earth
At Bethlehem I had my birth.

Dance, dance, wherever you may be
I am the lord of the dance said he
And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be
And I'll lead you all in the dance said he.

I danced for the scribes and the Pharisees
they would not dance and they wouldn't follow me
I danced for the fishermen James and John
They came with me so the dance went on.
Refrain

I dance on the Sabbath, and I cured the lame
The holy people said it was a shame
They ripped, they stripped, they hung me high
Left me there on the cross to die
Refrain

I danced on a Friday when the world turned black
It's hard to dance with the devil on your back
They buried my body, they thought I was gone
But I am the dance, and the dance goes on
Refrain

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that will never, never die
I'll live in you if you'll live in me
I am the Lord of the dance, said he.
Refrain

Tomorrow morning we will go to Sunrise mass on the beach at Ocean Ave in Melbourne Beach
and then over to the Spino's house for brunch as we have done for over 20 years. The first sunrise mass at the beach was when I was 16/17 years old...a few families and a priest friend all spent the night at a house down on the beach, that was a FUN! FUN time! The idea of the sunrise mass caught on and got bigger over the years..(.and more organized). Can't remember when the brunch started...but I do know I brought John there to introduce him to all our family friends...so it was at least 29/30 years ago. Brought the girls there as babies(Brenna is 24, Megan 21 now) and well, you get the idea. Year after year the group of friends gets together at Christmas for Potluck dinner, Easter for Brunch(and they get together without all the kids, grand kids, etc...throughout the year) and it is always a pleasure to see everyone. It is sad to go without Mon and Dad, and others who have passed away over the years, but it is always a nice morning....good food, good stories and a place where I truly feel "at home". These people have watched me grow up and have all shared the the ups and downs in life. Lot and lots of good times and laughs over the years! So, at least for one more year we'll be there . (The only thing that would make it better....would be having Brenna and Megan and all my sisters there too...oh well.)
Happy Easter! Happy Passover! Happy Spring!

1 comment:

Brenna said...

Now that I am crying and want to book the next ticket home! I miss you guys and I am really going to miss the "majestic sun rising over the beautiful Atlantic ocean" That is my favorite thing. DO you remember when Grandma grace made Megan and I easter vests? I can still picture them. I will think about you watching all the kiddos gather easter eggs! Tell every one I say hello and miss them all.
Love you, Happy Easter
I hope they do the singing version of my Favorite
"Christ has died Christ has risen Christ will come again" don't know why but I have always loved when they sing that.