Thursday, December 3, 2009

Getting ready for Christmas and An Ornament a Day


It's only December 3rd....but I feel like I'm behind. In reality....I am way ahead of where I usually am at this point. I usually start putting things up slowly...the garlands, Nativity scenes, things like that, then around the second week in December we put up our tree. (I like to keep it up until "Little Christmas") However this year we are going to be out of town two weekends in a row...so we figured we may as well get the tree up early...and enjoy it. I have collected an assortment of coffee mugs over the years...it's always fun to get them out each December. I think of who or where I got each mug from every time I use one.
As soon as December rolls around each year...it's time to get out these glasses. I bought them about 15 or more years ago. One of those purchases where you think to yourself "Do I really need these?" Well I guess I thought I did,,,and I must say we have enjoyed them every year. As a matter of fact...last year I bought a set of four (newer version) for Megan...since she always liked using the Christmas glasses.
Having all the Rubbermaid bins sitting around is probably what made me feel anxious...I like to get things in and out and put away! It never fails though...because I have so many different containers....I ALWAYS seem to misplace the one with the hooks in it! This year was no exception...I kept rifling through the bins and finally gave up and went to Walgreens (right up the road) and spent 99c to buy a new pack of course I found the missing bin and hooks first thing this morning...now I have enough hooks to decorate lots of trees! haha
Now for an ornament a day.......This little lady was from one of my first trips up to Tenneesee with John. We stopped in Dothan AL and then headed up to Maryville TN where John's sister Sandy was living at the time. On our trip into Gatlinburg (...much less crowded then and therefore much more charming) I bought this ornament to remember the trip.
My brother Paul made this one year in elementary school...6th grade maybe.......My Mom and Dad had it on their tree for years...and then when their tree kept getting smaller...some of the ornaments got "farmed" out...I decided to take this one and keep it safe. I put "Santa" on the tree every year and think of my youngest brother Paul.
I love this ornament. Growing up near Pittsburgh Pa...fall and winter were Cold! I remember in school hearing the story about Jack Frost painting the windows and leaves. (I remember more than one bulletin board with this theme as well.) Over the years I would ask people if they also remembered this story...only to have people look at me like I made it up or something...(occasionally someone else would remember the story)....so I was thrilled to see this cute ornament offered ( a couple of years ago,in a catalog I order from ( The Gooseberry Patch). On the back of the box it tells the story of how Jack Frost uses his breath to paint beautiful, intricate icy patterns on autumn leaves and windows. Ahhh it's nice to know I'm not losing it! hahahaha

No comments: