Tuesday, December 8, 2009

December 8


I saw this ornament last year and I had to buy it. My Dad came to Florida to work for NASA back in 1967. Apparently (from a story an old neighbor told me years later) someone contacted him and asked if he was interested in a job...and as the neighbor (Mr. Ryan) told it...it was the middle of February in Pittsburgh Pa.(ie COLD, DREARY) so why not take a little trip down to Florida for a few days...whether he was interested or not.After talking to them...he came back and said "I 've gotta get involved in that (Apollo) program! He was really excited.The following December (26th) we moved to Florida; and he worked for NASA until he retired. The other reason this particular ornament was "meant" to be on my tree...Snoopy is dressed as an astronaut on the moon...the very programs my dad was involved in. Also...the astronauts nominate people for special awards given to employees that have been especially helpful/ involved in the program. My dad received a Silver Snoopy Award with a letter signed by ALL of the Apollo astronauts for his work (in the malfunctions lab)during the Apollo program. Trust me...anytime there was a launch...the guys in the lab work(ed) non-stop to make sure everything was ready to go and if problems arise...they determine what the problem is and how to fix it. So...I think of my Dad when I see Snoopy and Woodstock on my tree.

No comments: