Monday, December 14, 2009

Birthday memories & ornaments

This picture got left out of my parade pictures...and since I don't know how to switch it with the one that got put in by mistake...I'm posting it today. This float was called "Christmas in Florida" They were playing Jimmy Buffet's Christmas music and there was a fishing pole propped up in the back (you can't see it in this photo...it was behind the beach chair) I personally like the goggles on Santa.
This ornament is a reminder of all my Jewish friends & relatives. Some only celebrate Hanukkah...others have mixed marriages/families...so they enjoy customs from both holiday celebrations. I remember going to my friend Lisa's house and listening to them say the blessing and light the candles. One year I went with Lisa and Rene to the Young Judea Hanukkah party at the temple. They had had all the usual holiday treats, music and games...like latkes, dreidel and some songs I still vaguely remember. It was fun.( Lisa used to attend some of my catechism classes, I went to some of hers...it was a nice way to learn about each others religions.)
I got this bell ornament from my godson David one year.He has traveled all around the US and the world with his family...and this was from one of their trips to British Columbia. I've gotten many ornaments for him (and given many to him)...this is one of my favorites...I not sure I could even tell you why...I just like it.
I bought this ice skater girl for myself last year from Anthropologie. (I LOVE that store) When we were growing up, because there were 8 children in the family...my mother (and father)came up with the plan that we could have a birthday party with friends (we always had a family celebration)once every five years....(because there were eight of us...there was still pretty much at least one party a year)My mom really went all out...decorations, favors, cake, etc. The year I turned 10, I had a party with my friends and we all got to go ice skating at South Park. My mother made little red and white polka dot Barbie dresses and scarves for favors, along with a little candy cup of course. She also knit me a green and gold sweater and made a matching corduroy skating skirt...that was green on the outside (my favorite color) and gold underneath...perfect for twirling....or more likely for flying up as I was falling down! haha I remember a wonderful afternoon skating with my friends and a break for hot chocolate and marshmallows.Then we went back to the house for cake and ice cream and presents. My favorite gift was a "shoulder purse" (brown with fringe..woohoo) from my best friend (Ruth) and her sister (Cindy). I am thankful that my mother made such an effort to make our birthdays special...and so memorable. I love parties to this day... just ask my kids about their birthday parties over the years...there was always a theme, costumes, the works...I'm not sure who had more fun...me with the planning...or the kids at the party. I hope both! The ice skating girl ornament takes me back to my 10th birthday! (and my fond memories of growing up in Bethel Park, Pa)

Last night I celebrated my birthday by going outside at midnight to watch the annual meteor shower. The weather forcast had said possible clouds...but I lucked out...it was CLEAR. Right on schedule the meteors started flying. I knew Megan was awake..so I called her to remind her to take a look. She had to bundle up...it was cold out...but she did. So I was lying on a lounge chair on our back porch and Megan was bundled up on her back patio?porch? deck? watching the stars fly. She called me back to say thanks for reminding her...she was waiting to see 10 before going in...I think she said she got to 9 and then it was just too cold. As for me...I watched about35 minutes and then the clouds did in fact move in...but I saw lots and lots before that happened. Nice, bright...loooooong ones. I LOVED it! It's always a nice birthday treat....post birthday after midnight

No comments: