Friday, May 29, 2009

Added note

On my last blog I talked about favorite music...but failed to mention the reason I get to listen to all the great music I do...is because for years I have listened to commercial free radio...college stations...in other words...NO TOP 40! (torture!) We have had a great college station in Melbourne for many years...and I've been listening since the days when you had to turn the radio just so...and keep it at that angle to pick up the signal from across the river. Programming always included Classical, and other specific genre shows...but back in the day(haha) we listened from 10-2 for the new music/Alternative stuff. They were playing music on www.wfit.org/ long before it made it to the top 40 stations...and many of those songs/bands are still on my playlist. For a period of time the programming was all jazz...and that was good too...but eventually they came back to playing a wide range of new/old/alternative/reggae/country...you name it music...and it's a great way to learn about what's out there. Check out http://www.worldcafe.org/ on NPR for other news about music and bands, etc. NPR is also my source for news.....I can't handle the TV nightly news...everything is so sensationalized....and they drive me everyone crazy with repeating the same story over, and over and over....ie Casey Anthony, swine fludon't panic...but we'll do our best to make you panic fill in the blank...and you know what I mean. So it's NPR news for me! (and John Stewart of course...so you can laugh about the things that might just make us all give up!) There is a station that plays retro music on their Sunday Night Vinyl show...(and all weekend too) 104.1 out of Orlando. That's where it all comes from...**Used to be me hearing a song start and running to hit the record button....resulting in lots of cassette tapes with 99% of the song ,haha, and then I spent years trying to figure out who the artists of theses songs were...in case I hadn't caught it on the radio... (Google & I Tunes have really made my life easier :) Haha) Even now I almost always have music on and when I see people everyonewalking around with their I Pods on...I wonder "What are YOU listening to?

1 comment:

BKaminski said...

AH Mamma taught me well! NPR it is for me and my local NPR station 88.5 WAMU American University in DC. You'll be happy to know I also dont get the news any where else, I even have NPR updates so breaking news is sent to my e-mail and I can check it right from my handy iPhone. Yea this blog post might need to be re titled as the Kaminski famliy loves Public Radio and Apple products!