Saturday, August 6, 2011

Saturday Night Awards





Our last day/night in North Carolina was a full one. John and Bill golfed their last 9 hole match. The team ahead of them had a lead that was statistically impossible to overcome...but they figured they'd go out and give it their best shot. Like most tournaments...there are the prizes and then there are the side bets. In fish tournaments it's the Calcutta's....I don't know what they called it here...but as I understand it...bets were placed at the beginning of the tournament. You could bet on which Flight would win the tournament, which team would win the flight, which team would go all the way...which Flight would have the winning team, etc. Welll. as luck would have it...the team that had the lead on John and Bill...did not bet on themselves to win the Flight...so John and Bill won the $.(by default??? or whatever) They(1st place team) also did not win their final match...otherwise the $$$$ would have been even more than it was. It all sounds very complicated...but the bottom line is...Bill and John both won credit in the clubhouse and some $$$. John ended up with two new golf clubs...one was part of the gift package all the golfers got and the other he got with his credit in the shop. Not bad for a weekend of golf!
You know those t-shirts you see where it say My ___________ went to __________ and all got was this t-shirt. Well...I got a t-shirt out of the deal...hahaha Not to mention the money I spent on the shopping/lunch expeditions. I think I did just fine. haha
When were were trying to figure out what to bring for the weekend...we knew we needed something nice for the awards dinner. The men are requested to wear jackets...so I wanted something nice. I found a dress a few months ago at Ross, then shoes on sale later at Dillards...so I had my outfit planned. John has a couple of nice outfits on hand for special occasions...after a trip to Michael's Men's Store last year. Before last year's trip...John went and updated his wardrobe...new coat, a couple pairs of pants, shirts and ties...to mix and match. As John was setting out his things to pack...I was thinking he was setting out the same things he wore last year....so I decided to check the pictures from last year to double check. Sure enough...he had the set out the same shirt and tie...so we switched things up a bit. Not that anyone else would even remember...but hey. Funny thing is...when I looked at the pictures...I realized I had planned the same dress for the first night cocktail party...haha we would have both showed up wearing the exact same outfits from last year. We got a good laugh from that. sounds like we don't get out much! hahaI am happy to report that we packed our clothes...with no duplicates from the previous year...and we looked just fine. And...we had a great time.
If there had been an award for Mr. Congeniality...John would have won hands down! He talked to everyone...and thoroughly enjoyed himself. We had a lively conversation with the other people at our table...they were two guys John and Bill had played with the first day. Neil and Lou from Hilton Head, SC. They were a lot of fun. When the conversation turned political.... Bill started it...not me. hah I was thrilled to find myself at a table full of Democrats!(very unlikely in a community like that in NC) I won't go into detail...but lets just say it was a bit of serendipity, Poor Kathie kind of got caught up in the middle of a (semi) heated discussion...I did my best to keep my mouth shut...but told Neil & Bernie, Lou & Karen that it could not have turned out better if I planned it! haha At the end of the night we all agreed to disagree (with Bill) and talked about how much we had enjoyed the company...and we did....they said "Hope to see you next year"...I told them I hoped so...if our conversation/discussion hadn't landed me on the list of people NOT to invite back! haha

No comments: