Thursday, August 18, 2011

Back to School stories


Now that school has started, I knew the dynamics of my story time group were going to change. Many of the boys and girls who have been coming were now going to be moving on to Pre K or Kindergarten. I really did not know what to expect...but I was pleasantly surprised with a nice group of 11 today. Most of them were new to my group...they've been in Lap Time and then Toddler Time with Ms. Dianne for the last 2 or more years. I was happy to see them come up to the 3 and up group. In the past...Dianne has had many moms who just stayed in Toddler Time (until the kids went to school!) because they liked the days and times that her programs were offered. Plus many of them start when their children are 6 months old...so it it like a playgroup for all of them...kids and moms, and I understand that. But I must admit it was frustrating to see them all going to the 2 year old program when they were 4 & 5 years old!
I picked some books about school buses and reading. I have a much younger group now...most of the boys and girls have just turned 3...so it will probably take me a couple of weeks to see what books will work best with them. Today went well. I figured it would be hard to go wrong with Maisy! This was a cute little book about different things that you do at preschool. (Most of the boys and girls now attend a program on Monday, Wednesday and Friday..or at least two days a week....so they could relate)
I had planned to read this book about manners in the library...I ran out of time, but I'll use it next week. I usually start the year off with this one...more for the moms...haha...they get pretty comfortable at our library...and it can get very noisy over in the Children's area! Today...one new boy had a major meltdown...he was really wailing...and mom is used to it...not thinking "Gee I'm in the library...maybe I should take him out or into another room"...so I gently suggested they might want to go back in the meeting room until J calmed down. I don't want to hurt the mom's feelings...but if they can't figure it out...sometimes I have to let them know...they are creating a disturbance for everyone else.
Carlo Likes Reading is a cute little book. It talks about all the things Carlo likes to read and on each page everything is labeled. You could use this book with a child learning to read...or with a student trying to learn English. The illustrations are cute...I don't know that I will use this again for my story time...but it worked.
The Bus For Us is a cute story about a Gus and his sister Tess waiting for the bus on Tess's first day of school. It starts off with the two of them at the Bus Stop...a vehicle approaches..."Is this the bus for us?" and then you turn the page and see a variety of vehicles. The kids like to guess what is coming next...some are predictable...like the fire engine...but they like to see if they have guessed correctly. As each vehicle goes by, the group of children waiting grows...so you can have fun counting the children and guessing.
we all agreed the ice cream truck would be a great way to get to school!
The Little School Bus is another counting book. Each stop along the route finds another "friend" waiting to get on..including a sleepy sheep, a squirmy worm, a hairy bear, a quick chick, a fox with socks, a pig in a wig and a goat in a coat. If you like rhymes...like anyone who knows me...knows I do...this book is a perfect choice!
After our stories, a song and a little matching game, we made little schoolhouses the the one above. It is always fun to see how different the finished crafts are even though everyone starts out with the same supplies! I love the moms who let the kids make the craft the way they want it...even if it may be a little abstract! haha
I always tell the parents...the stories, the crafts, the songs...it's for them to enjoy. If they just want to listen to the songs..not do the movements...that's OK . If they don't want to make the craft...that's OK...and if they don't want to sit still and listen...maybe they can try again another time.
I'm looking forward to more programs with the new group!

1 comment:

Megan said...

awesome!