Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lots of LongDoggers

We had a busy week at LongDoggers this past week. On Thursday...they hosted a fundraiser for the Melbourne Beach Library. We passed out coupons to the patrons...which they were to present upon ordering...and the library would get a % of total proceeds from the night. People went all day...some for lunch, afternoon...and then dinner. If the rain hadn't moved in at around 8:30...we would have done really well...but we still had a great night! John and I got there at about 4:45pm...and I was a little nervous since there didn't seem to be many people there. Of course the group John frequently meets up with for their nightly "Board Meeting" was there and they did their share for us! haha Shortly after John and I got to our (big) table...(room for all our friends...haha) my boss showed up. Now she had already gone for lunch...so I didn't expect to see her again for dinner...that's dedication. Well...in addition to Cindy...the Library Services Director, Cathy Schweinsberg, also joined us. So did the director from the Eau Gallie/Cape Canaveral Libraries and another librarian from Melbourne (I think). John was a good sport...he sat with me and the librarians...instead of joining the "board" members! Well...my neighbors who had promised to make an apperance...did so...right after the LS Director arrived...making me look very good....since they had a whole tableful of people...Ra, Matt, Xao Yan, back door neighbor Jeanne, her next door neighbor Jack and another friend Joe. By this time the place was filling up and had people waiting for tables...all holding their Library coupons....so things were going well. Our friends, the Woodwards came and when John went over to say Hello and thank them for coming...Dr. Woodward handed John a donation check for the amount of $500.00!!!! which made me look great! was wonderful....so it was a successful night all around!The Friends group all came out and looked like they were enjoying themselves...so that's good. Sometimes I suspect that my boss probably thinks I have kind of a bad attitude...because if I disagree with an idea/policy...I speak my mind...but I think this fundraiser, which by the way I set up with Al & Tony....will let her know that I may disagree with some things...but I like my job and I do have the best intentions for the library. The money earned will go towards the media budget...that has been cut to zero!Then....on Saturday...it was time for the 2nd Annual LongDoggers 5K Walk/Run. Our neighbor Angela...who also works at LD...ran and came in 2nd in her age group. Not bad...considering that baby S. is only 6 months old!
John and I walked...we finished in about 45 minutes 9 seconds or something like that. (better than my last year's time of 48 something) There had been a 50% chance of rain...but it did NOT rain...it was just cloudy...which cooled things off nicely. After the race it was time to head back across A1A for the party.
They had a band, prizes, and lots of fun for everyone. Kids had a blast running around...we had fun watching the end of the Arkansas - Alabama game. I must point out that when we returned...the score was 20-7.Arkansas...but as soon as I got back with my Alabama shirt...hahah the "Tide" changed! There are not many Alabama fans...mostly Gators or Seminoles, around here...but it was great fun to watch them win...and there was another group cheering for AL at the next table over. John and I ended up staying hours longer then we had thought we would ...and we had a lot of fun. We did have to ride our bikes home in the dark (no lights)...but it's mostly back roads/bike path. Our one friend joked that if he heard news that we were "missing"...today...he would start the search in the bushes next to the bike path! haha We made it home without incident...It was a fun night!

1 comment:

Rupert said...

looking good is always awesome! And the woodwards deserve a thank you note!