Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A trip to the lake

The first time I went to Cortland, back in 2007, I met a man on the plane who asked if I had ever been to Skaneateles. It's one of the Finger Lakes. I had not and he told me if I had a chance I should take a trip to see the lake and the town. I didn't make it on that trip, or my next one...but this time things worked out and we decided to check it out one afternoon.
It wasn't too far from Cortland...maybe 1 1/2 hours. It wasn't a bad drive...but there was a lot of tourist traffic in town. I guess everyone wanted to check out the place...hahah It was a nice late summer afternoon.
We stopped to eat at a local spot. An old inn/resteraunt.
It was right across the street from the lake...and since we got there just after the main lunch crowd, we were able to get a table near the window.
our view
Ellen suggested a couple of different options for us to consider for lunch...and to tell the truth...we found a parking spot right outside this place...and that was how we made our decision.
We had our waitress take a photo after we finished eating. Lighting wasn't great...but you get the idea.
We left the car and walked around downtown for a bit. There was a nice park with beautiful trees and a nice view of the lake.
We sat on a bench under the trees and had a cup of coffee....and a snack from the candy store next door.
After that we walked around a bit.
Martha and I briefly looked around the town library

 I figured I'd see what was on display there...as compared to our library in Melbourne Beach. I noticed they were using the same theme for their summer program as the libraries in Brevard County were using.
We checked out a few shops...no of them had anything I couldn't live without...hahaha
We stopped at the town restrooms...that happened to be right next to this pretty sitting area/park.
close up of the flowers on one of the bushes

The funny thing is...while I was waiting for Martha in the restroom...I glanced up and noticed a familiar face on the corner; heading our way. I thought to myself, it can't be anyone I know...I'm in Skaneateles, NY...I don't know anyone here. Well....I did recognize them...turns out it was a friend of Ellen's that I had just met the day before. hahah We both had a good laugh...because she had spotted me...and thought no, why would she be here. Ellen's friend, her daughter, niece and sister-in-law were also in town for the afternoon.
this is a display from her gift  shop in Homer, NY
                                                    *I had to have Anna pose near this sign also in Homer
I loved the old homes and the beautiful town....but couldn't help but wonder what it's like in the middle of January/February. I just don't know if I could handle the winter.
We had a nice little  day trip and I finally got to see the town I had heard about back in 2007...so I enjoyed it. I think next time we're up there I want to head back to Aurora...another beautiful old town in upstate NY.

No comments: