Saturday, September 22, 2012

Just running a little behind

Okay...I just haven't been in the mood to write anything...I've thought about it...but then usually went for a walk or bike ride instead...haha. Or...read a book.(currently have two going one non-fiction - Midnight Rising :John Brown and the Raid That Sparked the Civil War by one of my favorite authors...Tony Horwitz. I like his writing style and always have enjoyed civil war history. So far so good.
 Also, on a lighter note...The Innocents by Francesca Segal.  I like the way the author describes her characters. It's about a young Jewish couple in London, recently engaged. The descriptions sort of remind me of the way Maeve Binchy writes.
Paragraphs like this one:"The marriage of a Jewish son is a bittersweet prospect.There is relief, always, that he has navigated the tantalizing and plentiful assemblies of non-Jewish women to whom the children of Diaspora are inevitably exposed: the moment he enters secondary school there is the constant anxiety that a blue-eyed Christina or Mary will lure him away from the tribe." I think I like this because two of my sisters (a brown-eyed Ellen and a blue-eyed Jenifer managed to do just that...haha)and I can't tell you how many times Brenna has met guys...who think Brenna is one of the "tribe"...hahah we laugh every time.
Lisa and I went out to lunch on the 11th with our friend Karen...to celebrate her birthday and to give her a little break from her time helping her mom and her sister Laura. Karen has been spending a lot of time at her mom's and a few hours away from the house was a nice break for her. we were happy things have gotten better enough for her to feel comfortable taking a little time off. We enjoyed reminiscing about old times on Oak Ridge Drive. We all moved there within a year of one another back in 1967......believe it or not. We moved into our house the summer before I started 7th grade at Hoover Jr High...and the three of us began Jr High together. (and if I'm wrong on that date...it was sometime close to that...haha)
We enjoyed soup and sandwiches at the Nomad Cafe in Melbourne. Tasty...Brenna discovered this place before she left town...and when Lisa suggested it...I was all for it. Delicious....definitely worth a trip.
Now...it's about time for bed....after lots of exciting football games today...The Gators are off to a great start!

No comments: