Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4TH of JULY

 It's the 4th of July...and that means it was time for LONGDOGGERS annual party. It's mostly for the employees and their families...but also for the investors and some good friends (regulars). Over the  past 15  years the party has grown and  gotten really BIG...too big...so this year they scaled back a bit and made it just for employees, their families and investors. It made it nicer for the owners to enjoy the party and really...brought it back to what it was originally intended for...a reward for all the hard work the staff puts in all year long.
 As usual...the tables were all decked out with Red, White and Blue.....necklaces, fans, tablecloths
                                           One big flag draped across the top of the pavillion
 Tents set up down at the beach for party games and races....balloon toss, kayak paddle, etc
 the whole beach was packed...it was hot... no big waves...and  the weather was beautiful...at least for now....
 Instead of the usual keg...each restaurant (Indialantic, Post Road, Satellite Beach and Palm Bay) got a cooler full of assorted beers...and some jello shots (yuck) but the younger kids like them...hahah( I sound like an old lady."those youngsters")
 Investors each got a small cooler with a 6 pack. They had a whole table full of assorted prizes for the family members and staff. I snagged one of the purple cups...it looks like it will be perfect for work...fill it with ice and water...put the top on...and I'll be good for the day. I actually have a pretty cool (literally..haha) cup I got for free from Starbucks last summer in Cherry Creek, Colorado. They were giving them out when they were promoting their iced coffee drinks. It worked well...no sweating...kept my drink cold...and I loved it...but one day on my way out the door...juggling my tote bag of books, my purse, my keys, my sunglassess (I may have been a homeless woman in a past life...picture me with a cart full of junk.. that's kind of the scenario....only now I don't have the cart...hahah) I DROPPED the cup and broke it. It still works...but the insulated interior is separated from the outer part...so it's not as easy to use....you have to kind of hold it together...or remove the inner part to get a drink.... I'm get a little long winded here...surprise surpriseSo...this new cup will come in handy. All the kids got a sand pail and shovel...full of fun stuff like temporary tattoos. so the kids can look just like their moms and dads...haha...there  are lots of tattoos in the bunch , poppers, sunglasses and treats.
 This year the designated charity was the Surfrider Foundation...Tony presented a check to the local chapter for over two thousand dollars.
 Snow cones and popcorn over in the corner near the dessert table.....where you could also  find        cookies,  cookie "cake" and fruit skewers.
                                          I brought my own drink...since I don't drink beer.....
                              Courtney won the Hula Hoop contest for Indialantic again this year...she has won every year since she started working there...
 The weather was great for the first 2 1/2- 3 hours...then the black clouds rolled in....along with some thunder and lightning. It put a temporary hold on activities...the balloon toss ended in record time...hahah
As the storm moved closer...the sky all around us got darker and darker, the temperature dropped at least 10 degrees and the wind started blowing.....and then after a good soaking rain for about 1/2 hour...it moved off and it was nice again. The group that was still around went down to the beach for the kayak races....I watched a bit and then decided to ride the bike home before any more rain moved in...and to let the dogs out. I'm sure Kiena was a wreck during the storm......they were happy to see me. I drugged the dog so she wouldn't freak out during the fireworks.....like most dogs...she'd not a fan. Fortunately (I guess) she is 12 and starting to lose her hearing...she doesn't always hear them now...so if we can keep her distracted...she'll never even know what's going on....and trust me...it's a lot easier that way...........................
Well....Happy 4th of July! Last year on the 4th we were in Colorado with the gang....on that cheesy train ride...I had looked so forward to...it was pretty lame...but...we had fun since we (Burton & co gang) took over...and made it fun! The fireworks over the mountain were nice...other than that...I think if anyone wants to know if they should take the train ride---( you can check it out on my blog from last July with the  link here) -
 ...I think the answer would be "Don't bother!"...(haha)
Hope you are enjoying your celebrations...wherever you are!

No comments: