Friday, January 14, 2011

Winter stories and other things

Last Saturday was the 2nd annual Coconut Run for the library. John was out of town, so I walked by myself. The hardest thing about going by myself is getting UP and getting there on time! hahah without John moving me along! Mostly I do these races to get the shirts! haha and get my exercise for the day.




Winter sunset
This week my regular storytime was canceled because the Friends of the Library were getting set up for a book sale (can't complain too much...they give our children's programs lots of $$$)...and of course 15 kids showed up. I hate when I don't get to do my program! Then I was told Feb 4th(5th?) I can't have my program because a school group is coming...now this sort of ticks me off...why do they have to schedule it for the same time/same day as my ONE program...Dianne does Toddler Time and LapTime 3 times a week...did they cancel her programs...of course not....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR And then of course I got sent down to do Reference during lunch. Sometimes I love my job and sometimes......I wonder.
But I did get to go read to Amy's class on my day off. It was fun and they were happy to see me. It's been unusually chilly here so my winter and snow books were perfect.I love this story Grandmother Winter (* ok I totally screwed up there but can't figure out how to undo it...so who cares!)The illustrations are beautiful...the artist (Beth Krommes) uses scratchboard.This is her first picture book..
I love the details. Look at the birds!
If you've ever made a snowman...you have to like this one. Snowballs by Lois Ehlert
Cynthia Rylant describes all the different types of snow in this book...with lovely verse like this
"Some snow falls only lightly,
just enough
to make you notice
the delicate limbs of trees,
the light falling
from the lamppost,
a sparrow's small feet."

And the last book wasn't about the mittens you wear...but rather a kitten named Mittens...but the illustrations from this book written in the 1930's were too cute not to include.
And other favorites are included in this post from last year
http://annebk.blogspot.com/2010/01/winter-books-for-kids.html

No comments: