Thursday, January 6, 2011

A new year means time for calendar stories

I love this book! Could it be because I also LOVE chicken soup with rice?????hahaha
The first Storytime of the New Year for me always means it's time to get out some favorite books about the seasons. We had a few stories and then the kids took these die cut pieces and made a little (paper plate) wreath.
I bought myself this cute book last year because I just love the illustrations. I also liked the concept of listening to the world around you and being able to tell what season it is.
As anyone who looks at the books I recommend can see...I like books with rhyming verse. There is just something about rhyming words that is pleasing to the ear. It's fun and (actually makes it easier for me to remember). This is another one of my favorites...each month has a two page spread...with a simple verse like "Jump into January, come along with me! The local pond is glazed with ice-what can you see?" Then along the bottom are names of 12 things to be found in the picture.
When I read this book I let the children come up one by one to help me find the pictures within the picture. It's fun. I like the simple kind of folk art style of the illustrations and the catchy title...(think about it Jumping into a new year!)

And one of my favorites is this one..I love the poem
The sun comes up, the moon goes down and tick by tock a day goes by......and it goes on to talk about days, weeks,months and a year.
Reading stories about the months make me realize how quickly the year goes by...when I read about the special things each season offers...it doesn't seem so long ago that we were celebrating things like the 4th of July, Halloween, etc.
Next up...snow & winter stories....I'm getting them together now.

No comments: