Sunday, July 11, 2010

Southern Living Dinner

Yesterday it was my turn to host the Saturday night Southern Living Dinner Group. I don't get to go every month and I haven't hosted in several years...so I was looking forward to the task. My camera died/went wacky... the lens was not working properly. I decided I needed my camera for the "party" and basically I've grown used to having the camera available to document everything and it was hard to think about NOT having one....so I headed out to the camera store to see if it was fixable. Yes....but it would cost as much to fix as it would be to just buy a new one...so that's what I did. It's unusual for me to just go buy something like that unless it's a dress...on line haha so I tried not to think too much and just told the guy..."Ill take it!" When I got home I had to figure out some of the cool new features...like the Close up mode...pretty nice.....
and I didn't try anything else really...just wanted to make sure I could take a photo...Linda was planning to be in town for the weekend, from Vero Beach...so I invited her to join the dinner group for the month. She took a picture of me...(and the table)
and then I took one or two of her to make sure it was going to work properly...and then we finished getting ready. Ten women (including Linda and I) were coming...so I put the leaf in the table and brought out one of my folding tables. I had some tablecloths in my party supplies cabinet (when I find sales...I buy things...also old some really old! centerpieces, etc. The tablecloths were some of my favorite line from Target...ISABELLA PARTY...They are really nice quality. I have used these particular ones 3 times...still no tears or signs of wear! I coordinated some plates and some orange SOLO cups and flowers that just happened to have all the same colors and VOILA!
Here's a copy of our menu/score sheet. we try each dish and then rate it.
Linda putting out her results from the "Blueberry Salsa" recipe.
as hostess...I provided paper goods, flatware, drinks...in this month's issue was a recipe for Blue Margaritas....I personally don't like Tequila...doesn't agree with me...but there happened to be a bottle left over from our Bowling Bash...so I made a couple of MESSY/SMELLY/STICKY! batches. Also had Iced Tea (from Chick-Fil-A...of course), wine, water and a throwback recipe from August 2002...Fruit Parfait Slushie... a combination of Crushed Pineapple, Frozen strawberries, Pink Lemonade and Simple Syrup frozen and left to melt into slush....recipe calls for Sparkling Lime-flavored Water...I opted for Champagne. :) Note...it's also sticky and messy...but IT'S tasty! haha
one of the tables (before the party)
and the other
a few of the ladies
part of the group in the kitchen..."Say Cheese!"
Kiena was lurking around all night hoping for hand-outs...afterwards she was tired....We had a lot of laughs as usual. Some great food...I am always surprised by some of the dishes that sound weird...but taste good...top vote getter of the evening I believe was the
"FRESH CORN AND ASIAGO CHEESE BREAD PUDDING" which we decided would make a nice addition to a Thanksgiving dinner menu. Until next time..........

No comments: