Thursday, May 6, 2010

The kitchen again

So I've been trying to figure out what artwork(?) I'm going to put in the newly designed kitchen...since the decorative tiles I had in there before don't really match the new look. I still don't know for sure...but last night I got an idea. Several years ago when we were in Hawaii...I found these cute alphabet flash cards...sort of vintage looking, fun prints. I thought I could maybe use them for work (matching game or something)...I didn't really know...but I knew I wanted them...hahaha
Anyway...I got to thinking maybe I could put some in a frame or group of frames and use them in the kitchen. (I have this thing for alphabet "stuff" for lack of a better word I just like it. I have a Mother Goose Alphabet poster, I cross-stitched letters onto a blanket...I just like finding different illustrated alphabet things I guess.) I loved these cards when I saw them...and I figured someday I'd figure out a way to use them. And I think they might work! I picked out my favorite illustrations in the set...put them in this frame...it holds 7... Now I just have to figure out if I'm stopping there...or using them all.(doubtful) I hung them on the existing nail/hook just to see how they'd look...but the wall hasn't been painted yet...so it's not exactly the finished look.
Also...our tile for the "insert" on the back splash came in. John picked an Onyx tile...which for some reason I thought was black...turns out onyx means "a stone like marble with different colors in layers" (according to my trusty Oxford American Dictionary)...and it is perfect!
First shot is the tile when it's dry and next one is what it looks like wet...it will have the "highlighted" colors when it's sealed. It is transparent or translucent (?) the light passes through it allowing the various colors to show through...it will be perfect with the counter top and the field tile.
John had gone in to Design Studios to order the other tile we had selected....and then he saw a sample of this...as soon as he saw it he knew this was exactly what he had been looking for and I think he's right! It's going to look great!

1 comment:

BKaminski said...

I LOVE the Cards up there! It looks so cute.