Sunday, March 7, 2010

Kitchen Update

Once upon a time....back in March 1993....this is what my kitchen looked like.
We bought a house that was built in 1957(?) (I'm pretty sure) and it was sort of like walking into a time warp. The color of the carpet,the tile and the light fixtures my brother David loved them! My bathrooms were sturdy and well made...but one was a sort of "peach" and gray combo and the other was maroon and a sort of sea foam/aqua?green. (Our realtor friend said "I love these bathrooms...they remind me of cheap hotels I used to stay in down in Miami Beach"...He meant it as a compliment...but that wasn't really the look I was aiming for...if you know what I mean...cheap Miami Beach????? I was told by John that the bathrooms were solid as a rock and there was no way he was going to do anything with them...but we would paint the kitchen cabinets.
My brother Mark , John and his Dad went to work fixing up the cabinets. They were solid wood...and still in great shape...but the "floors" of the cabinets...were a little worn out...so they reinforced them with plywood. They also fixed the counter tops. We started with tile.(of course)( and then later graduated to granite.) Once we got them fixed up
our Friend Jim "the Painter" came and made them look like new!. He sanded and prepped, re sanded and painted them...until they really looked great. A creamy ivory white for the cabinet faces with gray/blue; then I added my blue knobs, painted the walls a very light blue gray and John added the back splash....and that's what we've had ever since.
In 2004 when we got hit with all the hurricanes and lost part of our roof...forcing us to tear everything in the back of the house out...down to the studs...we rebuilt the "master" bathroom. John designed it and it looks SOOOOOO much better than the old green/maroon combo!
Once we got the bedrooms and back bathroom redone...it was a year or two before we moved on to remodeling our other bathroom. It was so nice to update everything...more electrical outlets, new tile, new lighting....new decade!
Recently we decided to go for it and redo the kitchen cabinets. John has been working with a friend who does cabinetry and after working together on a couple of remodel projects...I think John decided it was time to go for it! Over the years we have updated appliances, counter tops, etc...but this will be a complete overhaul of all the cabinets. It was time to repaint things were looking a little worse for the wear and thin gs were getting worn out. Now I will have cabinets...with drawers! pull out shelves, etc...I can't wait....no more climbing around in the cabinets trying to figure out what exactly I have in there! And as you can see in the pictures...it will be nice to have cabinet doors that close and stay closed...without rubber bands!
MY old wooden cabinet (from Penney's way back when)(1980's)I have always kept napkins, tablecloths etc in will be finding a new home.somewhere else...like the garage..it was really looking old lately.(pictured above...kind of mangy looking!)..now I will have a little corner cabinet added on to the end of the counter...with some storage room and a little open shelf for.."nick knacks" John's words I'm not sure what nick knacks he's referring to....we'll see.
Other than the fact that I will have to empty EVERYTHING out of all my cabinets in the next week or two so this project can commence...I am kind of excited...I was not thinking along the lines of all new cabinets...although a new coat of paint and a new cabinet to hold the linens did cross my mind This will be exciting!

1 comment: