Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Books

During the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving...I like to read books about food. This is a fun one. I've read it to pre-schoolers and 1st and 2nd graders...they all like it. It's a good story if you have a "picky" eater.
This book is loosely based on how the first Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade came to be.(Milly and the Macy's Parade") It's an interesting story.
I always have to read this classic...can't you just hear the song in your head??? "Over the river and through the wood to Grandmother's house we go........."
I LOVE this book. It's a touching story about an elderly couple - Ed and Ann. When Ann burns the Thanksgiving turkey...they have to figure out where to go eat. They end up at a local restaurant...the doors are open (accidentally..it turns out). Some of the family members are trying to figure out how to get rid of the unwanted guests...but the Grandmother speaks her mind and the story begins. Everyone eats and dances and has a wonderful time. When I read this to my 1st grade friends on Monday...they said "That was a nice story." I just love it!

I have to have a fun, rhyming story of course! This one is about a clever turkey who outsmarts the townspeople who think they have outsmarted him. Cute and funny too.

This book is one of my favorites. I love the illustrations and all the things the children are thankful for. I bought a copy so I would always have it to share at Storytime.
There are lots of fun stories for the holiday...these are just a few of the ones I like to read.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: