Monday, June 22, 2009

Norris Burkes on war and Hope

Last Thursday evening, my friend Gayle T. and I went to hear Florida Today spirituality columnist Norris Burkes. Burkes is a former civilian hospital chaplain and Air National Guard chaplain who recently returned from four months in Iraq. My mother is the one who first got me reading his column several years ago...(he's been writing since 2001). I have always enjoyed his topics and his sense of humor...both of which made for an interesting evening. He grew up as a Southern Baptist, but as a chaplain he ministers to people of all faiths...which is what I think I find most appealing about him. He often talks about sharing your faith in a way that requires you to understand your audience and empathize with them. He talks about living your faith and sharing faith in a way that allows people to "see for themselves". I've been discouraged more than once by priests/ministers who get too caught up in the individual church (ie "do you believe the the Catholic Church is the one true church? no...that's part of my problem
or one who talked about the brother who a great guy but he was married to a Methodist, or the ministers wife from a Pentecostal church who was nervous about coming to my wedding..."because I've never been in a Catholic Church before". It's a church! what the heck did she think was going to happen...glad to report...she did come.
Growing up we attended the Catholic Church...my Uncle Dave was a monsignor...he baptized us, participated in the mass when Martha, David and I were confirmed and he married John & I. We always were friends with the priests in our parish...wherever we lived. But my mother (who went to mass every day growing up) encouraged us to go to church with our friends whenever the opportunity arose. For several years my good friend Lisa attended many CCD classes with Martha, David and I and we joined her at the temple for her Young Judea meetings. It was a great way to learn about each others religions and faith. I used to laugh because at one point in my life Megan was enrolled in a Baptist Preschool, while Brenna went to Holy Trinity Episcopal School and though I was raised Catholic...at that time we were going to a Methodist Church. (I figured we were covered!) (haha). I've been to Catholic, Episcopalian, Methodist, Jewish, Lutheran, Baptist,Presbyterian services....all of which I got something out of....but I'm still searching...and maybe I've got a bit of a chaplain spirit in me...because I feel it's important to embrace all faiths and try to understand what they believe. There is a lovely book called
God's Dream by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Douglas Carlton Abrams, and LeUyen Pham (Hardcover - Aug 26, 2008) about the message of God's love for all of us. The illustrations are really nice and it is a great book for children of all ages. (like me. haha)
One of the best stories Norris Burkes shared in his column and the night we saw him...was about his trip back to the US after 4 months in Balad. The final destination was Baltimore, MD. The plane was packed full of men and women on their way home after up to 18 months in Iraq. As the were getting ready to land in Baltimore they hit some severe turbulence...oxygen fell...not just the bags...he showed a photo of the whole compartment that fell down onto the seats...the plane was shaking...bouncing and they were told to assume the "crash landing position". Imagine...how they all felt...finally HOME and ready to land...and thinking they were going to crash. The plane bounced twice and went up again and circled the airport for a very long 10 minutes. He joked that the "Crash position" for him...was the "prayer position". He said he and the Rabbi in the seat behind him and the Minister next to him all joined hands and prayed. They landed safely...and he joked "and the bus ride back to Sacramento really wasn't that bad."
He has some great stories of people he worked with, prayed with, prayed for; parents and soldiers he has comforted throughout the years. He wrote a book about his work as a hospital chaplain in the neonatal unit....and hopes to write about his time in Iraq. He had standing room only crowds both nights he was here...and the sponsor of the program suggested that we all get working on getting him a guest spot on Oprah. If he does...don't miss it! (since I don't normally watch Oprah...I'll have to keep an eye out myself!)