Thursday, November 10, 2016

Day 2- A walk in the park

The second port on our cruise was Boston. I hadn't been to Boston in over 25 years, so I looked forward to seeing the sights again. One good thing about the port in Boston...you can walk right off the ship; no tenders required. It's nice because you have a little more flexibility, and you can change your plans without having to time it just right.We had made plans to take a tour of Fenway Park...because...why not.

(I tried to plan things that John might like, mixed in with the history stuff that I preferred.) We took a cab/Uber down to the Quincy Market area.


Last time I was in Boston...I was with my mother. We were going to her cousin's, daughter's wedding. (that's a tongue twister). It was held at the Faneuil Hall Marketplace. When I was there with my mother back in the 80's,  we did a lot of walking around, seeing the sights. The wedding was a nice, big Catholic wedding. My Mom enjoyed the time with all of her cousins...and I enjoyed watching the whole group! hahaha I remember my mom's cousin Tom asking me what I wanted to drink. I asked for a Fuzzy Navel...he looked at me a few seconds and said"What the hell is that?" hahahaha I also remember a group of the bride's friends dancing to "Love Shack" by the B 52's....one of them danced with a beer bottle balanced on her head...hahahah
  Naturally there's a little more going on there  these days...over 25 years later. More people, more activity....but it felt more  like a  Tacky Touristy area, compared to what I remember. Maybe I just didn't notice it the last time....but it felt different somehow. We left for our tour of Fenway. Martha joined us but Tony opted to just check out the neighborhood while we took our tour.
We got there a little early...so we checked out the souvenir shop while we waited. A short while later our tour guide ...local...big fan, kind of fun. We walked around as a group.(..smaller than average since it was a Monday at 1pm). Our guide loved relating all the different stories and facts.



view from up near the press box
up where the original green metal and oak seats still stand...not sure how comfortable it would be to sit there for a whole came...but still pretty cool!

they still have the original hand operated scoreboard...as well as the new one of course.

After our tour we walked around a bit, stopped in for a snack and a drink at a neighborhood place...then headed back to town.


We had plans to meet up with some friends of Martha and Tony's. Tony's company has an office in Boston, we were meeting up with one of the guys from the office and his wife.


We were having a drink with a view of the Harbor and site of the Boston Tea Party. In the background...where the big Milk Bottle is...is the Boston Children's Museum. We didn't go there...but my Mom and I did, back when we were in town. I remember it  as being a fun afternoon...if we had  had more time on this trip...I might've gone back.



Boston-Lobstah 


Planning ahead it seemed like we were going to have plenty of time to see all the sights...but the day went by quicker than we thought. I'll have to go back again to see what I missed, I guess. That night we pulled out of the harbor right around sun set. Our room near the back of the ship was a fine place to watch the sky.

                                             We were off to Bar Harbor Maine.

No comments: