Wednesday, April 22, 2015

slowing down

Things have slowed down a bit around here....not too much excitement going on. At work you can definitely tell that Spring Break is over and many of the winter visitors have headed home. It's nice to have the business...but it's also nice to get back to our regular routine. Traffic is considerably lighter too...which is always a good thing. It's hard to complain about traffic in a small town like ours, but when there are a lot of tourists in town it does get a little hectic out there. I've decided it not necessarily the tourists (not knowing what they're doing) but rather the frustrated locals who aren't used to having to wait through one or more cycles of the traffic light. hahah There tends to me a lot more people darting in and out of lanes trying to get around the slow moving traffic. Oh well...slowing down now.
We didn't get much of a Spring...we went for winter straight into summer like temperatures. I love this place...but 90 degrees in mid April is kind of hard to take!
There have been a couple of rocket launches lately...which is always a good thing. Several companies have been  having success with their launches. A step in the right direction for sure! We are the Space Coast after all!! It's a thrill to watch them go.
I'm not a big fan of watching baseball or basketball ...although  the March Madness games were pretty exciting! It's always sad when football season ends....but there is golf. John loves watching the pros. I don't mind a little here and there. Our friend Al, recently had a party for the final day of the Master's. He had gone to the actual event for a couple of the early rounds and brought back some souvenirs. He's got a big room with a very large TV...add some friends, some tasty food and...golf isn't really so boring after all. hahah About halfway through the match he had some games set up for a little friendly competition. Corn hole, darts, putting and chipping. I did pretty well on the 6 corn hole tosses...but not so great on the others...but that's ok...I really wasn't trying to win. (it was interesting to watch everyone...some of those people are seriously competitive...I was kind of amused, not really surprised, but amused) It was a fun afternoon.
Brenna in her office...she gave me a tour
This past weekend John was out of town fishing with some friends; so Brenna and I went over to check out our radio stations 40th anniversary celebration. I have been listening almost the whole 40 years. When they first started...you had to turn your radio at just the right angle to pick up the signal. Mostly classical music on the weekends back then...but over the years it got bigger and better. It went through some changes...but I stuck with it through them all. Once you listen to commercial free programming...it is really hard to listen to anything else. Plus no one else has the news (NPR) and variety of music.
I even lost out on another station's prize back in the 80's. A local station had a promotion going on...if you got their random call and you could tell them their slogan...you would win $1000.00. well...John had mentioned it to me...but it kind of went in one ear and out the other...because I didn't listen to them.One afternoon I actually got the random call
"Hi!!! What radio station do you listen to?"
I stopped for a minute knowing there was some catch phrase...but I had absolutely NO IDEA what it was...so I said
"I listen to WFIT!"
The caller told me..."if you had said BJ-105 you would have won $!000.00."
Well, .I told him" sorry I don't, but I love my station."
I would have put $1000.00 to good use...but as Jen would say..."It is what it is." And I can say I really do love my station and don't know what I'd do if they ever went off the air.
It was a nice afternoon...but it was HOT so we didn't stay too long. It got up to 90! agggh.
Where else would I get to hear music like these songs that came up on my random bike ride playlist for the day.
Come to Me-The Goo Goo Dolls
You've done It Again Virginia- The National
Waiting For Tonight- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Mayor of Simpleton-XTC
The Golden Path-The Chemical Brothers
Litany-Guadalcanal Diary
Sunday Bloody Sunday- U2
World Spins Madly On- The Weepies
Paper Airplane- Alison Kraus & Union Station
Yer So Bad- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Most of these songs and or groups I heard first on WFIT....with some exceptions (tv show soundtracks )...but the bottom line is they DO play this kind of music everyday. All genres, new, old, Alternative, etc...
Back in the day I would record the music onto cassette tapes...I'd hear a song starting and dash over to hit the record button. As Brenna pointed out...I still have stacks of those tapes. hahah Sometimes it took me years to figure out who a particular song was by or what it was called...Google sure has helped with that. hahah. So...here's hoping they stick around for 40 (or more) years!
And that's about it for now.
Happy Wednesday!

No comments: