Monday, September 23, 2013

It wasn't Disney World...

leaving from the Sebastian Inlet boat ramps



As I mentioned in the last post...my wacky schedule wound up giving me a 4 day weekend. I had hoped to maybe go to Disney World (it's slower this time of year) or do something  exciting....but none of the plans I/we came up with seemed to work out. In spite of that...it was a nice relaxing weekend...the weather was great and other opportunities presented themselves. We went to dinner and a show on Friday night, Saturday we watched the GATORS BEAT TENNESSEE!!!! Winning always makes watching your team more fun..haha
And then... John decided now was the time to take me offshore on the boat...since I've never gone out on our boat. He told me he'd make sure the conditions were going to be good and he had invited Charlie and Gayle to go along with us. I was nervous...but decided to give it a try.
can you see all the little bait fish?
 It was a really calm day...no wind and it was like a lake.
 We went out to the buoy to catch some "livies"
watching the clouds as we rode along
we got about 30-35 fish at the buoy...bait fish that is...haha
 These conditions were about as good as it gets for a nervous passenger like me...we saw assorted 
 sea  turtles, dolphins, a shark, lots of flying fish...but we never found any FISH to catch!
these birds know there will be fish near by the buoy
we also happened upon some friends also out looking for bait.
 
                     We stayed out for about 5 hours....maybe more...spotted some birds...but never found any fish to catch. I didn't really mind. Towards the end of the day...we were running south for one more look...when I started getting nervous as I watched the storm clouds building in the west. I don't mind rain...but I did not want to be out in the ocean on that boat in the middle of a thunderstorm! John agreed...and he had promised me he'd get me in before any storms started up...so he turned around and headed in.


We got back safe and sound...only a few drops of rain along the way. I started feeling a bit like I had worried for no reason...until about 1 hour later when the big storms hit. Thunder (never saw lightening...at least here.)..and the power flickered a few times. Some areas had flood watches in effect...because there were spots that got 2 inches of rain in 1 hour....so it's a good thing we came back when we did. John was happy...he finally got me out on the ocean in his boat...and even though we came home empty handed...it was a nice day.

1 comment:

BKaminski said...

looks like a calm day on the water! I want to go to Disney!