Friday, August 17, 2012

I is done

When we go up to North Carolina we usually fly to Atlanta; then drive from there. That way it's only about 3 hours in the car versus11 or more. Each time we've gone recently...I've gotten a book on CD for us to listen to while we drive. (when we get tired of music) The first year it was Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand. That was a great book to pass the time, because it was exciting to listen to the reader describe the races. It was hard to stop for a break...haha.Another year we listened to Pater Mayle read his book A Year In Provence. I loved it...John was okay with it...but I don't think he liked it as much as I did. (My brother David loved that one!...A  book about traveling through France drinking good wine and eating delicacies...how could he not like it..haha.
 Last year we listened to Bill Bryson read his book A Walk in the Woods. It was great as usual...and since we were driving through areas that he was talking about in the book...it was even better.

Seabiscuit: Special Illustrated Collector's Edition: An American LegendThis year we listened to The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I read the book a while ago and we both liked the movie. A patron at the library told me she enjoyed the book on cd, because she was from Jackson, MS and the readers were either locals...or had the perfect accent to read the parts. We didn't get through the whole book, so I have been listening to it since we got home. Many afternoons John and Brenna have walked in and heard it playing while I go about my business (ironing, etc) and I think I'm starting to drive them a little crazy.
 Brenna kept saying..."Haven't you already read that book?" "And seen the movie"..."Yes" but it didn't stop me. The other day Brenna walked in and John  looked at her and said "You is smart. You is kind. You is beautiful'" (a slight variation from the script). Brenna looked back at him and said "And you is obviously listening to that book too!" Haha
Good news John and Brenna...I finished it yesterday! haha...and if you haven't read it/ seen it/ heard it...it's definitely worth the time!

No comments: