Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Some Halloween stories and more

It's almost Halloween and there's too many stories to read! I visited my friend's class today and read a couple of books. I'm saving some of these for Storytime. Nancy Shaw's- Sheep books are always simple and fun. Sheep Trick or Treat is about the sheep trick or treating around the barnyard. Each animal offers it's own type of treat...like dried up flies, hay, clover...it's cute.
The Halloween Kittens by Maggie Kneen is a sweet little book. The cute illustrations and flaps to lift make it perfect for story time.
Add the little gold sparkle on the pages and it's sure to be a hit.
Fun cats hanging on the back "porch"
Skeleton Hiccups by Margery Cuyler is a cute story about the skeleton who wakes up with hiccups. hic, hic, hic...and nothing he tried worked to get rid of them...so his friend Ghost finally decides to take matters into his own hands. It's fun! (I had never seen this one before...even though it's been out since 2002.)
The Foggy Foggy Forest is another good one for Story time. The first page is a silhouette...then you lift the page to reveal all sorts of fairy tale folk out and about in the woods. Little ones have fun guessing "who" is on the next page.
Room on the Broom is another book that's been out awhile (2001)..but I've never seen it before it was returned to our library last week. I was drawn to the illustrations and the rhyming story...but it's a little too long for my group
It could be a little too scary too...but it's a cute story about all the friends working together.
For the 1st graders I brought some other favorites. The Biggest Pumpkin Ever is a nice little story about Clayton (a town mouse) and Desmond (a farm mouse) who both find the same pumpkin and help it grow, Clayton wants to win the prize for the biggest pumpkin...Desmond wants the biggest Jack-o-Lantern ever...they have both been fertilizing and watering the pumpkin and helping it grow....and they make a deal so that they both can win.
I think I mentioned The Scarecrow's Hat last year...it's just a cute story. I used it last week when our theme was Scarecrows.
and I can't forget one of my favorites...Space Case by Edward and James Marshall. A "Thing" comes down from outer space on Halloween night and joins right in with the Trick or Treaters...haha I love how Buddy's father doesn't even notice thing when it comes home with Buddy. That and the fact that Buddy earns an A- for his project...which is the thing doing math rpoblems on the board...hahah...reminds me of some teachers I've known...haha.


We made some paperbag scarecrows...pretty easy and each one had it's own personality...the kids enjoyed them.

I love these fall themes!

No comments: