Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Christmas in July ?

Some of my picks


Last week at Story time our theme was "Christmas in July". It was on our flyer and so there was no getting around it...haha. I wasn't thrilled with the theme, we do it every year. Dianne likes it I guess...personally I don't really "get" it. That being said...we ended up having a good time with it. McDuff's Christmas was cute...and who doesn't like Rosemary Wells? Many of the children are familiar with her Max and Ruby books, and McDuff..so that was an easy pick. Miss Spider is another cute character. I like the rhyming verse and the illustrations are always great. The hit of the day however, was "The Pirate's Night Before Christmas". I had more boys than girls that day...and this book was perfect. They loved the way the author used pirate "lingo" to tell the story. It was a lot of fun! (like "Happy New Yarrrrrrr!").
I hadn't used that book before...but I will definitely use it again. They all loved it. Our craft was decorating a "Christmas ornament". Ms. Dianne had our student volunteers glue to CDs together, then she drilled a small hole in the top. We added red and green round stickers and stars...and a smiley face or two.....then added some red,gold,silver, or green glitter. Some used just one color...others used them all! haha They did turn out cute. It was...as I said fun...more fun than I expected. This week...Asia and flying carpets...I will be in NC but I'm sure they will have a good time.

No comments: