Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spring Stories

Tomorrow I am reading Spring and Easter stories for Storytime. Here are a few of the books I have picked. First is "The Caterpillar and the Polliwog" by Jack Kent. I just love this story...the little caterpillar walks around the pond bragging about how she is going to turn into something else when she grows up. (We also have a movie version of this book...so whenever I read it...I hear the voices in the movie in my head. haha)
The tadpole is the only one around the pond that is excited for the caterpillar and he's so busy watching her change...he doesn't realize he's changing himself. Very cute!
"Happy Easter" by Kurt Wiese was originally published in 1952....so it's hardly new...but it's another favorite of mine. Mother Rabbit sends her bunnies out to find some eggs to color and hide. None of the hens want to give up their eggs...except the hen at the last place they stop. When they get there, the hen tells them she has been sitting on her eggs for several weeks and they haven't hatched so she doesn't mind giving them up.
The bunnies head home to decorate the eggs...but they hear noises coming from the eggs....
When the hen comes over to see how the eggs look in color...she gets a big surprise! We are going to do a craft that goes along with this story. I made some colored chicks to glue onto a picture of a basket...add some "eggs", stickers and a little Easter grass...and we'll have a nice picture to hang on the refrigerator. I hope! haha
Another old favorite...I read every year, is "The Golden Egg Book" by Margaret Wise Brown. This one is even older than the last one...it first came out in 1947! I love the little bunny who finds the egg...and then the what happens when the little duck hatches. This book is actually the first book I ever read to one of my Storytime groups way back when; maybe that's why I like it. :)
Bunny trying to listen to the egg...
"Hurray For Spring!" by Patricia Hubbell was written and published in 2005. It's illustrations are big and bright and cheerful and it rhymes! I love rhyming books for little ones.
Another cute story is "Ollie's Easter Eggs" by Olivier Dunrea. It is part of the Gossie & Friends series by the author.
It's simple and so cute. I love the pictures of Ollie trying to hide the eggs and Gossie and Gertie trying to find them.
And last, but not least..."I Need an Easter Egg!" by Harriet Ziefert. This one is a lift-the-flap story...which the little ones usually enjoy. Depending on the size of the group...I let them come up one at a time to lift the flaps as I read...anytime they can participate they love it!
I'm not sure if we will get all these stories in tomorrow......but we'll try...and we still have another week before Easter if we don't!

1 comment:

BKaminski said...

Very Cute! Hope the kiddies like the craft.