Thursday, April 1, 2010

An Easter (?) Treat

This is one of my favorite recipes. How can you/I tell? If you look in my cookbook it will probably open to the page that this recipe is on all by itself. There are stains from former ingredients... it's rumpled...etc. First of all I should tell you the recipe is for Carrot Bread and it's a recipe from (Paul) Newman's Own Cookbook that was given to me by my Uncle Dave in....1986! according to the cookbook...it was Paul Newman's mother's recipe. It is delicious! I get compliments every time I make it...if I do say so myself! hahaha
Now...here's what you need:
First you need to Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
1 pound carrots (approximately)
1 6oz can crushed pineapple, drained
2oz crystallized ginger, diced
2 TBSP lemon juice
2 cups sugar
1 cup plus 2 TBSP oil (approx)
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3 TBSP grated orange peel
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon (I use HEAPING) teaspoons
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup regular (not instant) oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans (if desired)

Peel and grate carrots to produce roughly 1 & 1/2 cups finely grated carrots and 1 & 1/2 cups more coarsely grated carrots. (Basically...I just throw them all in the food processor and work with it) Combine carrots, pineapple, ginger and lemon juice in a bowl and let rest while you beat together sugar and oil until creamy. To the oil-sugar mixture, add the 3 eggs and the grated orange peel. Combine carrot mixture with orange peel mixture. Mix well.
Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. To this mixture add vanilla.


Beat the carrot mixture with the flour mixture.

Add the oats (and pecans if desired). Stir until well mixed and and spoon into 2 "greased" loaf pans. (I use PAM) Bake in 350 oven for 45-55 minutes. The loaves are done when a testing needle (or if you're cheap like me...a toothpick) comes away clean. Cool in pans on a cooling rack.
Slice and eat. It's really good and moist...and I think you will like it!Just a little note....In all the times I have made this Carrot Bread...I have never actually used diced Crystallized ginger...because it's not something I normally have on hand. I do add a dash of ground ginger. I like cinnamon...so any recipe that calls for cinnamon...to me means heaping teaspoons of it! You can decide how you'd like it.

2 comments:

lRGager@Yahoo.com said...

Yummy...I love carrot cake/bread!!! Guess your new and beautiful kitchen is up and running!!!Looks really nice and I think the valance fabric is awesome. Happy Easter Anne-
Gonna call you soon-tell you all about my Rippin' Riley skiing haha!!!!!Yeah right-

BKaminski said...

DID you send some for me?